13 wardens, convicted for 20 years deported from Sittwe Jail
Sittwe, February 4: 13 jail wardens,
sentenced to 20 years imprisonments for alleged conspiratorial activities
against the state have been transferred to different jails in different
parts of Burma from Sittwe jail. One of these jails includes Inn
Sein Central jail in Rangoon. These events have unfolded during
the end of December 2003.
The prisoners sent from Sittwe jail are:
1. U Than Tun, Sergeant, 53, son of U Nyo Maung (Private No. Ka/
2. U Kyaw Win, Corporal, 40, son of U kyaw Hla Oo ( Private No.
3. U Kyaw Thein Hla, Second Corporal, 36, son of U Ni Oo (PrivateNo.Ka/20301)
4. U Tun Aye, Warden, 26, son of Umaung Soe Fru (Private No. Ka/
5. U Khin Maung, Warden, 42, son of U Ni Tun Aung (Private No.
6. U Oo Tun Hla, Warden, 34, son of U Tun Sein (Private No. Ka/
7. U Thein Nu, Warden, 38, son of U Aung Hla Sein, (Private No.
8. U San Thein Aung, Warden, 36, son of U San Tun Aung, (Private
9. U Htay Zaw, Warden, 25, son of U Ba Tun (Private No. Ka/ 21531)
10. U Kyaw Tun Fru, Warden, 30, son of U Tun Thein (Private No.
11.U Naing Naing Win, Warden, 20, son of U Maung Hla Sein (Private
12. U Tun Win Tin, Warden, 31, son of U Maung Aye Tha (Private
!3. U Tun Min, Clerk, 30, son of U Tun Hla Maung.
During January 2002, the above-mentioned 13 jail security personnel
were on strike in protest of the misappropriation of money by U
Tin Maung Lwin, the deputy director of Sittwe Jail. Consequently
they were accused of conspiracy against the state and were awarded
20 years of imprisonment on the 4th of February 2003.
Such deportation of convicted jail personnel to different jails
from Sittwe Jail forms part of a preventive measure to avoid a massive
strike in future at Sittwe Jail, says our correspondent.